How to make Phirni with Sugar Free Natura

/
0 Comments
It has been close to seven years now since I moved to Delhi from Siliguri after my marriage and though it took me some time to get adjusted to the new environment but I can now proudly say that I have pretty much succeeded in absorbing the way of living of the Delhiites.

To speak the truth, I was reluctant at first to leave my home state. I was actually pretty nervous, being apprehensive about whether I would be able to adjust at the new place. I had never moved out of my home state. We came over to Delhi only after a week of our marriage because my husband had to rejoin his duty. I was 23 then, I was young, naive and totally inexperienced. Not only was I going to stay miles away from my parents and in-laws, but also the fact that I had the added responsibility of setting up my new home at an absolutely new place and environment, was scaring me. I fumbled and made several mistakes. After my husband would leave for his office, I used to feel very lonely at home. I would miss my family very much and at times, felt miserable and helpless when I failed at something. That's when I found an extremely caring and a lovable mentor in Poonam aunty, our next-door neighbour. She came like a Godsend to me. She has always been there for me, like a mother would do. She would help me with advices and tips whenever I needed them. But the best thing of all is that, in all these years, she has benefitted me immensely by teaching me some quintessential Punjabi recipes - be it how to make kulcha or amritsari naan, or be it cholle and rajma; be it makki ki roti and sarson ka saag or desserts like gajar ka halwa and various barfis. Out of them all however, one sweet dish has always remained my favourite Punjabi dessert - Phirni. That was the first sweet dish that she had taught me and coincidentally phirni is her favourite as well. It's a very popular sweet dish in North India and is usually prepared during the festive occasions, especially during Karwa Chauth.

The other day while we were having our usual evening chat, somehow a passing mention of Phirni came up and that's when she told that she hasn't eaten it ever since she was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months back. I was saddened to know that. But just then an idea struck me. I thought I could still make Phirni for poonam aunty by substituting sugar with Sugar free natura, which is an absolutely safe alternative to table sugar, even for the diabetes patients. It has no harmful effects and gives us the same sweetness as the normally available sugar but with negligible calories. It contains Sucralose and since it is highly heat stable, so it can be used for cooking and baking purposes without a worry. I wanted to surprise Poonam aunty by cooking phirni for her using Sugar Free Natura.


The recipe is quite simple and anyone can prepare it at home.

Ingredients:

Whole Milk, 1 Litre
Basmati rice 1/4 cup
Sugar free Natura, 1/2 cup
Saffron, 10-12 strands to soak in milk
Green Cardamoms, 3-4, crushed
Dry Nuts (Almonds, cashew nuts), 8-10 each

Method:

Taking 1/4th cup of basmati rice, first wash it thoroughly to clean it of all impurities and after draining out all water, spread the rice over a dry, clean muslin cloth or paper so that the rice dries up quickly.

After the rice grains have dried up, grind them into a somewhat coarse powder, it shouldn't be an absolutely fine powder, it should rather be a litle grainy, resembling semolina or suji. Now keep that aside.

Take the milk in a non-stick pan and bring it to boil, stirring it continuously, over medium heat. That should take about seven to eight mnutes.

But before the milk has boiled, take out about 2 tablespoons of warm milk in a small bowl and adding the saffron strands, mash them a bit and leave it to soak in the milk, so that the saffron starts to soften up and imparts its colour to the milk. After a good 3-4 minutes, the colour of the solution would have changed to light yellow. Keep that aside.

In the mean time, in another small bowl, take some warm water and add the almonds into it and leave them soaked for 4-5 minutes. Doing that will make it easy to peel off the skin of the almonds. They can then be sliced thinly and kept aside and shall be used later for garnishing.

When the milk in the sauce pan starts boiling, lower the flame and add the powdered rice into it and keep stirring slowly.


We have to be careful that no limps get formed in the milk and rice mixture and so we have to keep stirring at regular intervals.

When the milk gets reduced considerably and the rice is almost cooked (that should take about 20-25 minutes of cooking over low-medium heat)and we see another boil, stir in the Sugar free natura. So also add the saffron and milk solution.


Then add the chopped dry fruits (almonds and cashew nuts) and also add the crushed cardamoms.



Cook the phirni over low heat for another 2-3 minutes and then turn off the heat and let it to cool down to the room temperature.

We can also keep it inside the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes and before serving, we can garnish it with some more chopped dry nuts.


I made this Phirni day before yesterday and it tasted absolutely heavenly, even my husband who isn't that much of a sweet lover, was all praise for me. The best part was that no table sugar was used, instead it had been substituted with sugar free natura (and so was healthy) but even with no sugar used, one wouldn't have been able to notice the difference - it had the same taste and sweetness of normal sugar.

One should have seen the excitement on Poonam aunty's face when I called her over and told her that I had a surprise for her. She was over-joyed and was mighty surprised, when I served her Phirni and told her that it could safely eaten because it was sugar free (sugar free natura had been used and not the normal sugar). The moment she took a spoonful of Phirni into her mouth, she got up from her cahir excitedly and hugged me as if I had returned her a priceless thing. I had never seen her that happy before. My efforts were fruitful and I felt extremely satisfied, all thanks to Sugar free natura.

Sugar free natura



You may also like

No comments:

Thank you for liking my recipe. If you have any suggestion or any query, please do not hesitate to ask.